Kevin Schadick has been an attorney with SSEG since 2007 and is a member of Intellectual Property and Business and Corporate practice groups. Mr. Schadick specializes in intellectual property transactions where maintaining control over company technology is critical but the sharing and use by third parties is vital to the client’s growth and success. He handles the drafting and negotiation of a wide range of agreements, including, non-disclosure, license, software development, joint development and other agreements involving client intellectual property. Kevin has extensive experience with academic technology transfer which is the process of transferring technological developments and inventions from universities and other institutions to companies that can further develop the technology into new products, applications, materials or services. His clients in this area include companies that are start-ups, software developers, life sciences, medical device manufacturers, and health and wellness companies.
Kevin’s intellectual property practice is also focused on brand management and counseling clients to strategically position their logos, images, and brands in the commercial marketplace. This includes the protection of trademarks, domain names, copyrights and other related intellectual property. Kevin’s services include trademark clearance and prosecution, copyright registration, and enforcement of intellectual property rights. He has represented a wide variety of trademark and copyright clients in industries including entertainment, food and beverage manufacturing and distribution, health and wellness, gaming and sailboat manufacturing.
As part of the Business and Corporate practice group, Mr. Schadick considers himself a life-cycle attorney. He counsels clients from their earliest stages as a start-up through their exit strategy. He assists clients with all of their corporate needs, such as entity formation, drafting and negotiation of key contracts, strategic planning, securities/equity offerings, financing transactions, and mergers and acquisitions. Additionally, Kevin has counseled several non-profit entities in the formation process and the preparation of their IRS tax-exempt application.
Kevin is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association. He is registered to practice in the State of Ohio and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He received his B.A. from The University of Chicago, an M.S. from Boston College and his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
- B.A., University of Chicago, 1998
- M.S., Boston College, 2002
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2005
- State of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Completed $22 Million Series A financing transaction for wellness client.
- Preparation of Private Placement Memorandum for Series C offering for biotechnology company.
- Sale and disposition of regional distributor of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC supplies
- Preparation and submission of trademark applications and maintenance of trademark portfolios
- Represented and negotiated settlements for trademark clients facing potential trademark cancellation or opposition by a third parties.
- Establishment and representation of start-up companies in social media, wellness, and technology industries
- Prepared and filed copyright registrations for clients with manuscripts and music compositions.
- Negotiated a joint collaboration and development agreement between medical device testing client and local non-profit research consortium.
- Reviewed and negotiated a software license agreement for patented software on behalf of licensee client.