Richard J. Colella
Richard J. Colella
Prior to joining SSE&G as a partner in its Corporate/Business Division, Richard Colella practiced in the corporate and securities section of the international law firm Locke Purnell (now Locke Lord), returned to practice in Ohio in January 1993, and served as managing partner of The Colella Law Firm and predecessors for 20+ years. Mr. Colella has represented many types and sizes of businesses in connection with their ordinary course and transactional legal needs, from startups to international and publicly-traded companies. Rich assists business clients in drafting and negotiating contracts, structuring transactions, franchise law matters, debt and equity financings, corporate governance issues and legal compliance matters.
Representative transactional experience includes lead procurement and construction counsel in $400 million industrial manufacturing project; general counsel to manufacturing company in $50 million stock sale to international strategic buyer; lead counsel to owners in change of control transaction with a venture capital buyer and in subsequent buyout of the VC investor group; and both buy and sell side counsel in many mergers and acquisitions transactions.
Mr. Colella is currently a member of the Advisory Board of Huntington National Bank, a member of the Advisory Board of HealthSource Chiropractic, Inc., a former Chairman and current member of the Board of Trustees for the Lorain County Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Lorain Foundation, and a former Chairman of the Board for Junior Achievement of Lorain County. Mr. Colella received his B.A. from Oberlin College and a J.D., cum laude, from Wake Forest University School of Law.
Rich is married and has two adult sons. He enjoys golfing and fishing in his spare time.
- B.A., Oberlin College, 1984
- J.D., cum laude, Wake Forest University School of Law, 1987
- State of Ohio
- State of Texas (inactive)
- Member, Advisory Board of Huntington National Bank
- Member, Advisory Board of HealthSource Chiropractic, Inc., a national franchisor of chiropractic clinics
- Member, Past Chairman, Board of Trustees for the Lorain County Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Lorain Foundation
- Past Chairman, Board for Junior Achievement of Lorain County
- Lead procurement and construction counsel in $400 million industrial manufacturing project
- General counsel to manufacturing company in $50 million stock sale to international strategic buyer
- Lead counsel to mortgage company and owners in change of control transaction with a venture capital buyer; then lead counsel in buyout of the VC investor group
- General counsel to software company in connection with private equity group investment and change in control transaction
- Lead counsel to light manufacturing company and owners in stock sale to foreign strategic buyer
- Corporate and franchising counsel for several service industry franchisors, including start-ups to mature systems
- Counsel to investors and investor group leaders in several private equity investments
- Local counsel (for real estate, utilities and technical and administrative services matters) in sale of large integrated steel mill, and ongoing dealings between transaction parties