Gary A. Ebert
Gary A. Ebert
Gary A. Ebert is the Director of SSE&G’s Estate Planning, Business Succession and Probate practice group; Municipal and Public Law practice group; Real Estate, Environmental and Land Use practice group; and our Sports and Entertainment practice group. He has combined a private practice with his public role as Bay Village Law Director, thus developing a range of experience that serves the legal needs of most business and governmental organizations. Gary has been practicing law for 40 years, 26 of those at SSEG.
As our director of the Estate Planning, Business Succession and Probate practice group, Mr. Ebert has helped many clients customize their Probate and Estate succession plans for both modest and complex estates as well as Wills and Trust Arrangements. Gary assists clients in planning for disability utilizing Power of Attorney, Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Wills, Donor Registration Enrollment Forms, Business Succession Planning and Probate and Trust Administration. Mr. Ebert is an expert at customizing each client’s estate plan in order to help achieve ones objective and goals.
As Bay Village Law Director since 1986, Gary is actively involved in the contractual requirements of bidding, procurement, repair and construction and related real estate and environmental matters; labor negotiations with classified and non-classified employees; establishing employment compliance standards and securing favorable financing requirements for the city.
On a governmental level, Mr. Ebert has participated in the executive, legislative and judicial branches. A limited list of his responsibilities include: executive operation of the City’s legal department, enforcement of state civil laws and municipal ordinances and criminal law violations with further requirements to defend law suits filed against the city; and in filing law suits on behalf of the city, legislative duties in the drafting of ordinances and judicial activities including legal opinions on varied subjects such as constitutionality of ordinances and conflicts of interests. He has even served as the Interim Mayor of Bay Village. In addition, Gary interfaces with other governmental units including Boards of Education and has on several occasions, negotiated and concluded work agreements.
As Director of the Firm’s Sports and Entertainment practice group, he represents several Major League Baseball Managers and General Managers as well as NFL and College Football Coaches and General Managers. The Firm also represents both local and national news entertainment personalities.
Mr. Ebert lives in Bay Village with his wife Pamela. He has three children, Caroline, Amanda, Brian and five grandchildren. He enjoys golf, wood making and gardening.
- B.S. Education, Ashland College, 1972
- J.D., Cleveland State University, 1975
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Associations
- Cuyahoga County Law Directors Association
- State of Ohio Chair and Board of Directors for the International Municipal Law Officers Association
- Founding Trustee-Bay Village Foundation
- Trustee for Bay Arts
- Trustee for Wigs for Kids
- Named to Who’s Who and named to the Worldwide Registry for excellence in law
- Serves as Chairman of the Leadership Council for St. John’s Medical Center (University Hospital)
- Served as a member of the Bay Village Council from 1982-1986
- Served as interim Mayor of Bay Village in 2000/2016 and as Law Director from 1986 to the present
- Recognized as an “Ohio Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine and has a rating AV Preeminent and AV Peer Review rating
- Served as lead counsel for the Westshore Communities of Cleveland and successful negotiated an agreement after the Northfolk Southern and CSX merger which agreement was presented and approved by the United States Surface Transportation Board which is still in existence today and limited the number of trains that pass through the western suburbs and in addition provides funding for safety improvements.
- Successfully defended numerous municipal cases involving zoning laws, land use and constitutional challenges including defending private trusts both for governmental agencies and private and First Amendment challenges.
- Successfully represents Municipalities in labor contracts.
- Represents various coaches/managers and administrative personnel for professional sports/franchises