Thomas G. Haren
Thomas G. Haren
Tom has been with SSEG for 4 years, and has quickly become known as one of the top cannabis attorneys in Ohio. Tom’s practice focuses on representing medical marijuana companies applying for licensure to do business as medical marijuana cultivators, processors, and dispensary owners. He is regularly asked to provide comments on Ohio’s medical marijuana market to local and national media outlets, and often speaks at industry conferences and seminars.
In addition to his cannabis practice, Tom is an aggressive litigator, helping people after they’ve been accused of a crime and also when they find themselves involved in civil litigation. His litigation practice is focused mostly on high-stakes criminal or civil cases. In that regard, his clients depend on him to protect them when they are facing major state or federal felony charges or a lawsuit seeking money damages that can put them out of business. Part of Tom’s civil litigation practice includes representing clients who are sued for defamation based on constitutionally-protected online speech.
Tom’s experience working on high-profile matters leaves him uniquely situated to assist clients where there may be an extraordinary amount of media scrutiny. He understands how to navigate the media landscape and use mass media to protect his clients’ reputations.
As a former Republican nominee for the State Senate, Tom also knows how important it is to build consensus at the local and State level to further his clients’ interests. Tom is known for being somebody that political and business leaders can trust when confronted with complex issues.
- B.A., John Carroll University, 2008
- J.D., cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law , 2011
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Top One Percent, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- National College of DUI Defense
- Cuyahoga County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) Legal Committee
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law: Solo Incubator Advisory Counsel
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Along with co-counsel, successfully obtained a sanction award against an eBay seller who brought a SLAPP suit against two out-of-state individuals.
- Successfully quashed a subpoena issued by a Plaintiff in a SLAPP suit that would have revealed a client’s identity, where the client engaged on constitutionally-protected speech online.
- Obtained summary judgment against a construction equipment company where the company attempted to hold Tom’s client personally liable for business debt. Tom also defended the decision in the Court of Appeals, which subsequently affirmed the trial court’s decision.
- Obtained an acquittal on behalf of a client accused of improperly purchasing liquor for business purposes, thereby avoiding revocation of his client’s liquor license.
- Obtained a sentence of community control (where a prison sentence was presumed under Ohio law) on behalf of a client alleged to be trafficking in approximately 100 pounds of marijuana.
- Macur, Juliet and Schewber, Nate, Rape Case Unfolds on Web and Splits City, New York Times, December 16, 2012.
- Dissell, Rachel, Steubenville lawsuit raises free speech issues around comments on sexual assault case, Cleveland Plain Dealer, December 23, 2012.
- Kim, Susanna, Ebay Seller Who Sued Over Negative Feedback ordered to Pay Customers’ Legal Fees, ABCNews.com, September 4, 2015.
- Riley, Molly, Marijuana supporters worried by Trump’s attorney general pick, The Columbus Dispatch, December 28, 2016.
- Sacirbey, Omar, Could Ohio solve the cannabis industry’s cash-only problem?, Marijuana Business Daily, August 3, 2016.
- Volk, Kristin, Local medical marijuana user calls Ohio’s new law a small step but not a victory, ABC News 5 Cleveland, September 8, 2016.
- Volk, Kristin, Local company provides insurance to marijuana dispensaries, cultivators, manufacturers, ABC News 5 Cleveland, September 22, 2016.
- McIver, Brian, Sessions Confirmed as Attorney General: Now What?, Cannabis Business Times, February 10, 2017.
- Brown, Kyle, Kasich Signs Bill, Ohio Legalizes Medical Marijuana Program, Cannabis Business Times, June 9, 2016.
- Borchardt, Jackie, Ohio attorneys given green light to advise medical marijuana clients, Cleveland.com, September 21, 2016.
- Nobile, Jeremy, Ohio Supreme Court updates rules to allow lawyers to work with clients involved in legal marijuana industry, Crain’s Cleveland Business, September 22, 2016.
- Nobile, Jeremy, Ohio hopes to close the loop on growing legal cannabis industry, Crain’s Cleveland Business, November 13, 2016.
- Nobile, Jeremy, Clock is ticking on marijuana investment chances, Crain’s Cleveland Business, April 23, 2017.